Saturday, October 11, 2008

BUSH: The movie.

As I was looking through media for material to write on I came across this quasi-article about the new Bush movie. It has bothered me for some reason that there was a movie coming out on Bush ever since I heard Oliver Stone was doing it, I just could not put my finger on why it bothered me. The article in Texas Monthly “Everybody must get Stoned”( http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-10-01/feature2-1.php ) brought up some interesting viewpoints, some that were swirling around in my head and some that were new and engaging. It is an interesting lineup of local Austin people sitting down to review not the movie but the why, when, who, and how the movie should and should not be. These folks discuss whether the movie should have been made now or waited ten years and whether it will help, hurt, or be a non-factor in the upcoming election. My take on the principle of the movie is that it shows a lack of respect, regardless of ideology, to a man that had a few more issues to deal with than any other president except maybe Lincoln or Roosevelt.



1 comment:

Ash said...

Oliver Stone seems to portray W. as a stupid frat boy who didn't have the skills necessary to handle the leadership of a country. Is it disrespectful? I think a president calling the shots against congress and the wants and needs of the American people is disrespectful, but that's coming from a liberal. Stone does have a right to his opinion and although some might take offense, I don't see anyone in much of a hurry to make an epic film about Bush's heroism as president. I really don't think it will sway the election. Bush blew it for McCain long before McCain even decided to run in the '08 election.